6 year old boy finds a 480 million year old fossil in his garden

news2

Siddak Sing Jhamat, nicknamed Sid, has found a 480-million-year-old fossil in his garden in Walsall, in the West Midlands (England). The Six-year-old says that he had been digging in his garden for worms, bugs and things like pottery and bricks :

“I just came across this rock which looked a bit like a horn, and thought it could be a tooth or a claw or a horn, but it was actually a piece of coral which is called horn coral. I was really excited about what it really was.”

The boy’s father Mr Vish SIngh, said that:

We were suprised because Sid found something so strange in the soil. He found a horn coral, and some smaller pieces next to it and he did all this digging with the fossil set we gifted him for Christmas. The next day he went digging again and found a solidified lump of sand. Inside it, there were loads of little molluscs and seashells, and something called a crinoid, which is like a tentacle of a squid, so it’s quite a prehistoric thing.

Fortunately, Mr Singh was a member of fossil group on Facebook. With the help of that group Mr Singh became able to identify the findings. The group identified the fossils as most like a Rugosa coral, estimated to be between 251-488 million years old.

Mr Singh explained:

“The period that they existed from was between 500 million and 251 million years ago, the Paleozoic era. England at the time was part of Pangea, a landmass of continents. England was all underwater as well. They say you can find fossils anywhere if you look carefully enough, but to find a significantly large piece like that, is quite unique.”

Lots and lots of people have commented on how amazing it is to find something like this in the back garden. Don’t you also find it amazing to discover something like this in your garden? Please let me know in the comments below!

6 Likes

It really is amazing!

3 Likes

Lucky boy!

2 Likes

Yes, he is really lucky!

2 Likes

The boy can be a future archaeologist!

1 Like

Yes, he can be :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Kid’s got some good digging skills :sweat_smile::+1: