Ever licked a TV screen? Japanese professor develops lickable TV screen which imitates food flavors

Twitter

Ever licked a TV screen? Imagine, you are telling a machine that you want to eat chocolate, and suddenly a transparent film with liquid droplets appears on top of a screen depicting luscious gooey chocolate. You lick the screen before saying: “It tastes exactly like milk chocolate. It’s sweet and delicious.”

The Reuters video shows a prototype lickable TV screen that can imitate food flavors, which its creator hopes will be another step toward creating a multi-sensory viewing experience.

Homei Miyashita, a Meiji University professor, is developing “Taste the TV (TTTV),” which uses a carousel of 10 flavor canisters that spray in combination to create the taste of a specific food.

According to Miyashita, the flavors of all foods can be broken down into ten basic tastes: salty, sour, sweet, bitter, spicy, and savory. The machine is programmed with “recipes” that allow it to simulate the flavor of 20 different food samples.

According to Miyashita, in the COVID-19 era, this type of technology can improve how people connect and interact with the outside world.

“When we stayed at home, we couldn’t taste the food in restaurants that were far away,” he explained. “I wanted to make this (tasting food) a reality in some way so that people could experience various tastes (of food) from far away while staying at home.”

Miyashita collaborates with a group of about 30 students to create a variety of flavor-related devices, such as a fork that enhances the flavor of food. He claimed that he built the TTTV prototype himself over a year and that a commercial version would cost around 100,000 yen ($875) to produce.

What will you like to try first if this TV screen arrives in Pakistan someday? Let us know in the comments section below.

2 Likes

Ever licked a TV screen?

whole my childhood

1 Like

ALWAYS wanted to food shown on tv screen now my dream transitions into reality :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Haha, good to know.