Meet Craig Lewis, the world's first "Heartless Human". A man without heart!

Daily Hunt

Craig Lewis, a Texas man, was taken to the Texas Heart Institute because he was suffering from amyloidosis, a dangerous condition. Amyloidosis is an exceedingly rare condition, with just approximately 10 lakh persons worldwide reporting it. A thick sticky protein layer begins to form on vital body organs such as the kidney, heart, and liver under this circumstance. There is currently no recognized cure for the condition. In March 2011, the 55-year-old guy reported the problem. His condition was so critical that even a pacemaker could not save him at that point.

He had only 12 hours to live, according to the physicians. His wife Linda, on the other hand, took him to Dr. Cohn, who later bought out a groundbreaking innovation and sold it to the rest of the globe.

How It Happened

At the Texas Heart Institute, Dr. Billy Cohn is a senior surgeon. He has devoted much of his life to creating technologies that can replace or repair the human heart. Dr. Cohn and Dr. Bud Frazier created a mechanism known as a ‘continuous flow.’ The machine’s origins can be traced back to the Left Ventricle Assist Device (LVAD). ‘Continuous flow’ was effective in keeping a human alive in the absence of a pulse and a heartbeat. The physicians had come up with a brilliant idea.

Daily Mail

The equipment was successfully put in Mr. Lewis’ body in less than 48 hours with Mrs. Linda’s agreement. The system produced a flat EKG after installation, but Lewis was alive and well. When Dr. Cohn placed his stethoscope on Lewis’ chest, he heard a humming sound rather than a heartbeat. Lewis had been on a dialysis machine and was in a coma-like state before the surgery. He was able to sit and converse with everyone after the surgery. Mr. Craig Lewis became the world’s first person to be born without a heart.

How Craig Lewis Died

When Mrs. Lewis tried to listen to the pulse, she was astounded, saying, “I tried to listen to the pulse, it was a humming sound.” He wasn’t breathing and didn’t have a pulse.’ The other organs, on the other hand, were ineffective in keeping Mr. Lewis alive. His liver and kidneys were gravely harmed. The family ultimately opted to turn off the heat and allow him to die decently. “You never know how much time you have,” says the narrator, “but it was well worth it.” Mrs. Lewis expressed her thoughts. The machine was shut off after 5 weeks of surgery, and Mr. Lewis took his own life. In a later press conference, doctors revealed that Mr. Lewis died as a result of liver and kidney failure, but that the machine was still operating.

Want to add something to the story? Let us know in the comment section below.