Pcos ( polycystic ovaey syndrome)

Polycystic ovary syndrome (pcos) is a condition that affect women’s hormones level.

Women with PCOS commonly have high levels of insulin that don’t work effectively, or male hormones known as ‘androgens’, or both. The cause is not fully understood, however family history and genetics, hormones and lifestyle play a role. Insulin resistance is present in up to four out of five women with PCOS.

Women who have a mother, aunt or sister with PCOS are 50 per cent more likely to develop PCOS.

PCOS is relatively common, especially in infertile women. It affects 8 to 13 per cent of women of reproductive age (between late adolescence and menopause).

Symptoms of PCOS :

Women who have PCOS may experience:

• irregular menstrual cycles – periods may be less or more frequent due to less frequent ovulation (release of an egg)
    amenorrhoea (no periods) – some women with PCOS do not menstruate, in some cases for many years
  • excessive facial or body hair growth (or both)
  • acne
  • scalp hair loss
  • reduced fertility (difficulty in becoming pregnant) – related to less frequent or - absent ovulation
  • mood changes – including anxiety and -
    depression
  • obesity
  • sleep apnoea.

Treatment of PCOS

-it is important that all the symptoms of PCOS are dealt with and managed long-term, to avoid associated health problems. PCOS is a long-term condition and long-term management is needed.

• Depending on the symptoms you experience, management of PCOS can include:

• lifestyle modifications – increasing your physical activity levels and eating a healthy diet can help to manage PCOS
    weight reduction if overweight – research has shown that even five to 10 per cent weight loss can provide significant health benefits
    medical treatment – with hormones or medication

Where to get help :

• Your doctor (GP)
  • Gynaecologist
  • Endocrinologist
  • Local women’s health clinic
  • Community health centre
  • Dietitian

“NOTE”
We people really do not discuss these kind of topics. Pcos is related to health problems.and we all have no awareness about it.Being a nutritionist its my responsibility to aware others about it. Pcos can get worse.and we people have literally no idea what a pcos person been through. All we need is awareness about these problems among men and women.
I don’t know why we feel so ashamed talking about these topics. At least we can aware our ownself and help others .
So from now all we promise with ouselves that we are going to take a step and educate our ownself and others about it.
And let those peoples know ( who battling with pcos) that they are beautiful with their flaws. Spread love and awareness💞
Peace❣️

9 Likes

It is not taboo to talk about menstruation cycle. However, in our society it is considered sinful to talk about it openly like it is shameful. Women should talk about such diseases like PCOS openly and should spread awareness. More power to you :ok_hand::ok_hand:

4 Likes

Ayee Thank You❣️

1 Like

I too believe in breaking the taboo.
Thank you so much for sharing this.

1 Like

Thank You fo reading this💞

These things should actually be taught in school in some sort of small seminars be it segregated for boys and girls. Also i’ve noted that here gynea related stuff is mostly associated to married women, why so. I once had to go to gynea bcuz of some issue and the women there would stare at me like i’ve done something wrong by coming there. There are so many issues faced by both girls and boys at teenage age, and they don’t even know they have it.

its because we have no awareness about our own body. It’s sad🥺 and literally in pakistan Doctor itself considered it taboo.
But we can change this because we are a young youth. We are change maker💞

1 Like

true . I was told by doctor bardasht karna seekho instead of giving me a diagnosis. I haaatteeedd going to gynea doctor after that :expressionless:

1 Like

That’s Really sad🥺

1 Like

Great. Keep it up

1 Like

Great work :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Good luck :heart:

1 Like

Totally agree with you :clap::clap::heart:

1 Like

what an awsome msge!!! :+1: