The rat race of securing high marks

‘I was denied Admission to Pakistani Universities because of low grades’. These are the words of a Pakistani Student who received the young scientist award in 2021. Everyone cheers on higher grades. Often merit list in Pakistan starts from 95% and stops at 85%. The most reputable public and private sectors give admission to those students who have secured good grades.

If we have 40 students out of every 100 students who are securing 90%, then why they aren’t creating any technology or company. Why we can’t revive our economy and provide social reforms to uplift the infrastructure of Pakistan. When our Institutions test our memory rather than our capabilities, then we might produce cramming parrots rather than IT experts and the Nobel winner. There is no concept of critical analysis, creative thinking, and innovation in our schools.

Even when a child dares ask a question that crosses the capability of the teacher and he might shut up the student. The question gives birth to curiosity and when a child asks questions we never answer them and when he grows up, the critical thinking of questioning has been fading away. No, any student has ever been encouraged to follow his dream and passion. Parents always suggest to their children the mass-driven dreams that everyone follows.

When you try to do something different from ordinary people they would come up with the excuse that this field has no scope. You can never expect the scientist and IT experts from the examination where 80% of our marks are judged by theory. Only 20% is based on practical and many boards ask questions orally rather than performing practically.
Yuval Noah Harari says " We are creating a useless class of humans that will be unemployable".

We need to revisit our education system and value critical thinking and innovation. I have seen many people who secured even 95% are working 9 to 5 jobs for only 40k. Grades never matter, what matters is learning about things that are worth learning.

62 Likes

Well written!:heart:

12 Likes

I totally agree … Our education system needs to be revised. We are lagging behind from other nations and also our degrees are not recognized in other countries

15 Likes

Yes indeed.

14 Likes

Yes our education system is very bad. We do not teach students as a learner.

14 Likes

We should improve it.

14 Likes

Yes no doubt.

12 Likes

Hopefully this system will be changed.

13 Likes

Yes our system really stressful. We need to change our system

11 Likes

Yes no doubt. This needs to change.

11 Likes

I am teacher and I can relate this as well.

11 Likes

Absolutely right.

11 Likes

I agree with you. This is not good for our future generations

10 Likes

We need to improve it.

9 Likes

Yes indeed.

8 Likes

I am also victim to the low grading man… feeling bad for our system.

5 Likes

Feeling sad for you bro… hope you get success.

7 Likes

Found your article interesting to read.

8 Likes

there is a big room for improvement in our education system.

5 Likes

indeed bro

5 Likes