What do I mean when I say, “I am a feminist!”

Like most of us “Feminism” has always been a very confusing term for me and it was difficult to decide what concepts or perspectives would make someone a feminist.

So what actually is feminism? Let’s dive into it.

Several feminists around the world believe in feminism that gives women the right to abortion and the right to homosexuality among other rights. But is this what we, most Pakistani women mean when we support feminism? The answer more or less is no, always. As a Muslim community we all (men/women) know our limitations. So of course, we are not asking for these kinds of rights. What we demand is making this state a safe place for women, giving equal salaries, helping in domestic work, stopping harassment, giving equal education and work opportunities. Hence, letting women control their lives themselves.

Islam is not oppressive, but our society is extremely oppressive especially towards women. They are raped, killed in the name of honour, harassed and what not. These are the things women want freedom from. We do not (na auzubillah) want freedom from our deen.

So why are feminists so aggressive? Feminists are usually considered to be aggressive; this is majorly because of the growing frustration inside them after years of oppression which our society has gifted them.

All you need to know is that as men can be good or bad, so can women. As men are allowed a mistake margin, so should be the case with women.

6 Likes

Well written :clap::clap:

1 Like

@Ayeshaumar902 @alinah @Asfa_Azam

1 Like

thank you :)))

1 Like

@Zahra_Ali @Zainab_Sajid @Zubia_Ishfaq

1 Like

Well said. :+1:

1 Like

Very well described